Ballinamallard: Narrow victory for St Pat’s

Richard Lecky heads the ball.  DP30

Richard Lecky heads the ball

Ballinamallard United 0
St Patrick’s Athletic 1

League of Ireland champions St Patrick’s Athletic came away with a narrow 1-0 victory at  Ferney Park last night.


But for most of the game they were well in control, after Chris Forrester shot the Dublin side into the lead after 21 minutes, sidefooting home a corner. He went close again shortly after heading just wide from another corner.

St Patricks controlled most of the half in atrocious conditions with the home side posing little or no threat.

Just before the break midfielder Duwayne McManus found himself in space in the St Pat’s box, but couldn’t manger to pull the trigger before being tackled.

But it was an encouraging second half from the Irish League side against the Airtricity champions.

They finished strongly with a handful of good chances to show for their efforts.

Substitute Cathal Beacom’s vicious free kick from wide on the right flew inches wide as David Kee just failed to get a touch with his head at the back post.

Then striker Andy Crawford pressurised the visitors defence in the mud.


The ball fell nicely for the Ballinamallard man, who found himself clear on goal, but his low shot was superbly knocked away by keeper Rene Gilmartin, with his lets.

At the death they survived a real scare when the dangerous Chris Fagan found himself through on goal, but stand-inkeeper Stefan McCusker did well to race from his line and flick the ball wide of goal.

To read more.. Subscribe to current edition

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere


The Fermanagh Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 28 Belmore Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, BT74 6AA