Police granted more time to quiz pair in murder enquiry

Natasha Carruthers died in a road traffic incident which is now being treated as murder.

Police have been granted further time to detain two males arrested in relation the death of mother of one, Natasha Carruthers in a road traffic incident which is now being treated as murder.
The 23-year-old was a front seat passenger in a car which crashed at Newbridge Road, Derrylin on Saturday last, 7 October.
The incident was initially treated as a traffic accident, but around four days later it became a murder enquiry.
A detective sergeant told Dungannon Magistrates Court extensive enquiries are ongoing and phased interviews have still to take place with the detained men.
A female who was arrested in respect of allegedly perverting the course of justice, has since been released and a file sent to the Public Prosecution Service.
The detective explained Serious Crime Officers took over the case at 3pm on Wednesday after it was deemed a murder investigation..
This followed information being received claiming other vehicles were involved, which ramped up the nature of the investigation.
She confirmed as well as murder, the offences being investigated are causing death and grievous bodily harm by dangerous driving, and there have been witness reports of “ramming”.
Along with the two suspects in custody, police believe a third male has fled to the Republic of Ireland and enquiries are ongoing into his whereabouts.
The court heard the driver of the crashed car is very seriously ill in the Royal Victoria Hospital and police have yet to speak with him, although it is hoped this could be imminent depending on his condition.
The rear seat passenger, a female, has since been discharged and is also still to be interviewed.
The detective said there is a vast area of County Fermanagh to be trawled for evidence including Derrylin, Newtownbutler, Enniskillen, Maguiresbridge and Lisnaskea. This is going to take considerable time along with interviewing processes still to be conducted.
A total of 10 mobile phones have been seized for examination as police believe there was a lot of communication prior to and after the incident.
Defence solicitors for both suspects confirmed they were not objecting to the extended detention.
District Judge John Meehan granted the application and allowed a further 36 hours in custody.

To read more.. Subscribe to current edition

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere


The Fermanagh Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 28 Belmore Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, BT74 6AA