Three convicted of wasting police time

Enniskillen Court House, RMGFH03

Enniskillen Court House, RMGFH03

THREE people have been convicted of wasting police time after an incident in Kesh from July 2014.
Diane (45) and Hugh Alexander Hugh Coulter (48), both of Rosscolban, Kesh and a youth were convicted at Enniskillen Magistrates Court. Their sentences have been adjourned to allow for a short-sentence report.
The court heard that a complaint was made by the youth against a Mark Dickson and it was supported by both Diane and Hugh Coulter. The statement of complaint was in relation to alleged dangerous driving by Dickson on the Main Street of Kesh. 
The youth had been in the Mayfly Inn on July 22, 2014 when her mother asked her to go to the post office and post some letters. When she left the bar and went to cross the road she said Dickson pulled out in a grey Mercedes from behind a parked car and came straight for her and would have hit her had she not ‘jolted forward’. 
In her statement the youth identified Dickson as the driver. Two statements were then recorded from Diane and Hugh Coulter. Diane Coulter said she had been in the Mayfly at the time and saw the youth jump out of the way of the oncoming vehicle, but didn’t see the driver. 
In her statement she said she suspected it was Mark Dickson as she didn’t know anyone who drove a grey car like the one involved. Hugh Coulter said in his statement he called in for a drink to the Mayfly with his son when he saw a car travelling at speed and said he  witnessed the young girl jump forward to get out of the way. Neither Diane or Hugh Coulter chose to give evidence in court.
CCTV footage was shown in court and district judge Nigel Broderick noted: “At first blush when I see the individual crossing the road it appears to be a normal walking movement”.
Taking the stand the youth said she had been left shaken after the incident. Under cross-examination the prosecutor said that she had exaggerated a state of affairs to make a complaint about Mr Dickson, a man known to her and family. She admitted relations between him and her family were bad, but denied that her claims were false. 
The district judge questioned why after the incident the youth did not return to the pub instead of going into the post office and doing her messages and she replied: “ I was in shock, I didn’t know what to do.”
The district judge noted that had there not been CCTV footage Mr Dickson would have faced criminal charges and investigation, with three versions against his own. Mr Broderick said he simply didn’t believe the youth’s testimony and noted the history of bad blood between the two parties, suggesting she may have got caught up in it. 
The judge said there was no attempt to drive at the defendant and said if this had actually happened the youth would not have continued on with her messages. He added that it was not without significance the two other defendants did not give evidence.

To read more.. Subscribe to current edition

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere


The Fermanagh Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 28 Belmore Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, BT74 6AA