Thug punched hospital staff only days after being sentenced to jail

Jason Magerr

A VIOLENT thug who attacked hospital staff after slitting his arm with a pair of scissors on Sunday had been released on bail just last week after being sentenced to 12 months in jail for a series of other assaults.

Serial offender Jason Magerr, of Hillview Park, Enniskillen, attacked a nurse and a hospital porter at the South West Acute Hospital shortly after he was taken to the Accident & Emergency department for treatment to lacerations on his arm.

Appearing in the dock at Enniskillen Magistrates Court, Magerr, who had a black eye, was accused of two counts of common assault and one of criminal damage.


A detective constable said he was aware of the circumstances of the case and believed he could connect Magerr to the charges.

The PSNI constable explained that police were called to SWAH following a report that the defendant had  assaulted members of staff.

The court heard how he grabbed a pair of scissors and caused another laceration beside his injuries.

He then caused another disturbance by assaulting a nurse and hospital porter by punching and kicking them.

The porter had to lie hunched on the floor to protect himself. The nurse told police: “In all my years working in the hospital I have never seen the likes of it.”

Magerr then grabbed a pair of glasses from her face and punched her hard on the shoulder and again on to her body.

He then kicked her to the left thigh and she suffered an injury to her hand.


The night porter also claimed he was kicked on the groin.

Magerr then damaged medical equipment and used the debris from this to damage a large monitor screen.

He left the hospital and police later found him at his address.

During police interview he said he was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and that he could remember the incident and was remorseful for what he did.

The court heard how Magerr had been released on bail after being sentenced to 12 months in jail.

He was convicted of a multitude of offences described by the judge as “disgraceful”.

Defence solicitor Garry Smyth said Magerr was taken to hospital because he had self-harmed and that he suffered from difficulties.

He questioned whether custody would be a suitable place for the defendant or if he should be taken to a secure unit for treatment.

“He does have family in Enniskillen and that address is still available to him,” he added.

“The background of this man shows he has significant mental health issues. On that night no right thinking person would behave in that way.”

Deputy Judge Liam McStay said he poses a “significant risk to himself and to the people around him”.

He continued: “Our hospital staff must be protected from behaviour such as this. I’m refusing bail because of risk of re-offending.”

He will appear before Enniskillen Magistrates Court via video link on June 29.

To read more.. Subscribe to current edition

Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere


The Fermanagh Herald is published by North West of Ireland Printing & Publishing Company Limited, trading as North-West News Group.
Registered in Northern Ireland, No. R0000576. 28 Belmore Street, Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Northern Ireland, BT74 6AA