Omagh prove too strong for Enniskillen men again

Omagh's Kyle Alexander feels this challenge from Enniskillen's Mark Hood.

Omagh’s Kyle Alexander feels this challenge from Enniskillen’s Mark Hood.

Omagh    25
Enniskillen    6

On Saturday last Enniskillen travelled to Mellon Park Omagh for this eagerly anticipated Qualifying 2 encounter.

Enniskillen were anxious to overturn the result of the corresponding fixture at Mullaghmeen just before the Christmas break, a game that they had dominated for long periods but managed to let slip.

After six minutes Omagh conceded a penalty for an off-side infringement after David Buchanan, who had gathered possession from a line-out, drove deep into their half. Chris McVitty duly registering the opening score of the afternoon.

The breakdown was a real battle and the referee wasn’t in the mood to let much go, yellow carding Jack Harte and Omagh’s Paul Todd.

At this stage Omagh forwards began to dominate the opposition eight, at both scrums and line-out.

The home side enjoyed a period of dominance, building phases and protecting possession. Then eventually in the 28th minute they took full advantage of a mix-up in the visitors defence, moved the ball to Brown on the right wing who crossed the line to touch down for the opening try of the game. Murphy converted to give Omagh a four point advantage.

This was extended in the 37th minute when, in their anxiety to regain control of the ball, Enniskillen were penalised for going off-side at a ruck.

The resulting penalty was duly converted to leave the home seven points ahead at the end at the interval.

The third quarter of the game being played between the two 22 metre lines. Enniskillen’s efforts eventually paid off in the 20th minute when the home side defence was deemed to have been off-side at the break-down. McVitty reduced arrears by three points with the resulting penalty.

The home side riposte was almost immediate. Omagh attacked the Enniskillen line from the resulting re-start.

They drove at the visitor’s defence, managing to control the ball, building several phases, before releasing Mitchell on the wing to score. Any illusions the visitors may have about a comeback were quickly dispelled when, five minutes later, he crossed their line again to put the outcome beyond any doubt.

Then as if to compound Enniskillen’s woes, Omagh once again breached their stretched defence in the 76th minute to bring their tally for the afternoon to a credible 25 points.

Enniskillen’s attention now shifts to next Saturday and a home encounter with Ballynahinch in the quarter-final of The Town’s Cup.