GAA: Goals shoot down Lisnaskea

Lisnaskea's Paul Curran keeps Paul McCusker forced into the corner of the pitch   SHFH18

Lisnaskea’s Paul Curran keeps Paul McCusker forced into the corner of the pitch

Lisnaskea 0-10  
Ederney 2-8

Lisnaskea’s erratic form continues with the Emmetts failing to follow up last week’s success with a second win, this time failing to handle the challenge of visitors Ederney.

Two goals conceded in the opening half the second of which was essentially the knock out punch coming just on the stroke of the interval to leave the home side  seven points adrift for the changeover.

In that second thirty minutes Ederney adopted a ‘what we have we hold’ strategy.

They funnelled back in organised fashion and basically they effectively smothered the attempted Lisnaskea comeback.

Lisnaskea did have a fair amount of possession but with the opposition picking off occasional points to keep their score sheet ticking over, the chasing side really needed a goal to get them on the heels of the leaders and no goal chance was to be offered up.

From the outset it was Ederney who settled more smartly into the contest and they were soon heading out in front.

Mark Little did have a third minute point from a free for Lisnaskea but the key score of the early period was the first Ederney goal.

The visitors had had points from Stephen McElrone and from advancing half back Aaron Dennison before they pounced for the major score, Niall Maguire coming in to connect with a ball fired across the face of the ‘Skea goal.

That score was to be cancelled out by a determined Lisnaskea riposte, a trio of points fired from Ryan O’Keefe and Mark Little but in the lead up to the break the game was to swing back emphatically in Ederney’s favour.

They had a run of three points and then crucially picked up their second goal with the half time whistle beckoning.

Lisnaskea lost possession in a dangerous position and Michael McAleer swooped in to thump home an excellent shot and that score hoisted Ederney into a commanding position.

A point each traded in the early minutes of the second half but Ederney’s defensive shape was proving a major test for the ‘Skea attack and scores for the Emmetts were far too slow in coming from there on.

Ryan O’Keefe, Mark Little and Stephen Carters did have scores but two answering points for Ederney in sporadic raiding kept the gap between the sides comfortable enough as far as the leaders were concerned.

Into added on time and the gap remained at four points, Paul McCusker made it five on sixty one minutes which left the Emmetts well adrift,the final point from Ryan O’Keefe a token consolation.

For Lisnaskea, Mark McKenna was sound at full back and Tom Clarke worked hard in the middle of the park with Mark Little producing a lively second half showing.

For Ederney who have begun a steady climb up the league ladder, Manus Maguire had a fine game at corner back, Declan McCusker had a presence in the first half but had more difficulty in the second as he coped with the resurgent Mark Little while Paul McCusker was neat in attack.

Referee; Joe McGurn; Erne Gaels.