ST RONAN’S Parish Church, Colebrooke this year celebrates 250 years in operation, with the original cornerstone still a fixture in the current Church, dating back to 1763.
As part of their celebrations the church held a special service on Sunday incorporating the anniversary and their annual Friends Service.
Lord Eames, the former Archbishop of Armagh was the speaker, while current Bishop of Clogher John McDowell dedicated gifts in memory of those now deceased, who were once members of the church.
Also in attendance on the day were Viscount and Viscountess Brookeborough, while the choir sang an anthem and Ruby Philogene was the special soloist.
The service which attracted a large crowd, was a “lovely occasion” according to St Ronan’s Curate Reverend Betty Thompson and after the service the congregation gathered for afternoon tea.
The old church was originally built in 1763, but although they know the year the exact date is unknown.
“It is a long time back and the records don’t tell us exactly when. We do though have the original cornerstone, which is still in the Church today and that says 1763 on it.”
The Friends service and anniversary celebrations will continue throughout the year as the Church hosts a flower festival from May 24 to 27, while Colebrooke Park the home of Viscount and Viscountess Brookeborough will be open for tours on the Saturday and Sunday of the weekend.
Later on in September the Colebrooke branch of Mother Union will also celebrate their 50th anniversary.
It may have been 250 years, but recent developments have left Colebrooke well equipped to continue for many more according to Reverend Thompson.
“We had the church redeveloped inside for the special occasion, while a lot of the gifts included refurbishment of the vestry and the sound system and have helped kit us out for the future.
“We have got very high tech and I think in this day and age people have moved on, you have to cater for the old and cater for the new.”
To read more.. Subscribe to current edition