A border church which lies in the South but has most of its congregation living in North celebrated its 175th anniversary at the weekend.
St. Mary’s Parish Church, Drummully, was built in the townland of Clonooney in Co. Monaghan in 1844 and on Sunday marked its special milestone.
The special anniversary was marked at a joint group service including the parishes of Galloon and Sallaghy. The service was led by the Bishop of Clogher, Right Rev John McDowell and Roy Crowe, the Diocesan Reader and Diocesan Pastoral Assistant who has been leading services during the vacancy.
Interestingly while Drummully Church is situated in Co. Monaghan, the majority of its congregation are from Fermanagh.
As the Rev Nigel Baylor wrote for the 150th anniversary, “Since the church was built, the world as it was then, has changed enormously and many people have come and gone from the area. The church, however, has remained and is a continual witness to the Christian faith in the district.”
The parish church of Drummully remained in the Newtownbutler area throughout the 18th Century when during an Act of Privy Council in 1804, Drummully lost a number of townlands and because the loss included the parish church at Newtownbutler. As a result, Drummully took over Drumkrin Church which was dissolved at this time.
Drummully Church has the smallest congregation in the group of Galloon, Sallaghy and Drummully with 36 people on its register but its parishioners have continued to preserve this place of worship for many others to share.
Posted: 3:44 pm December 1, 2019