HARRY the buzzard has been released back to the wild after being brought back to full health by a team of local vets.
As first reported last month, Harry had two weeks of round-the-clock care by the dedicated staff at Cara Veterinary Clinic on Enniskillen’s Old Tempo Road.
The vets first became aware of the buzzard’s plight after they were contacted by a client in the Brookeborough area.
When they went out to capture him he was pretty sick and dehydrated.
After a digital X-ray of his wings, legs and body, the team soon discovered two lead pellets about a third of the way down the bird’s body. Harry was treated for lead poisoning which included morning and night injections, being placed on a drip for 36 hours and tube fed for four days.
Vet Helen Barrett explained: “We think that he may have eaten something like a rabbit which had been shot and the lead then entered his system. “It’s amazing that Harry has survived as most don’t but we got him in time,” says Helen.
The bird of prey, believed to be less than a year old, was then moved on to rehabilitation at the Eagles Flying bird sanctuary in Sligo.
From there he was released back into the wild on Monday from the same garden in Brookeborough.
To read more.. Subscribe to current edition
Receive quality journalism wherever you are, on any device. Keep up to date from the comfort of your own home with a digital subscription.
Any time | Any place | Anywhere